Wednesday 27 May 2009

Kualoa Ranch – Rope Course Challenges

Kualoa Ranch is one of the most exciting tourist spot located in the scenic Ka'a'awa Valley, Hawaii. They have a variety of attraction and activities here such as the horseback riding, ATV tours, jungle expeditions, hula lesson, movie sites.etc. Kualoa Ranch has became the shooting site for many movies such as the Jurassic Park, Windtalkers, Mighty Joe Young, Pearl Harbour, Godzilla.etc. We can still observe the remaining of the shooting props such as the godzilla's footprint, Aztec pyramid, war trenches, guns.etc. At the same time, the ranch is still use for cattle breeding and they have so many cows in the valley.

Our trip to Kualoa ranch was not to observe the movie sites or go on horseback riding but we were there to go on the rope course. However, we still get to pass by the movie sites on our way to the rope course's site. The ropes course was so challenging and terrifying. The first rope course is the V shape rope course where we have to climb a tall tree then stand on the V shape rope which was tied from the tree to two other trees while holding hands with our partner face to face to support each other. Unfortunate for us, the rope that support me from falling got tangled and it takes more than 10 minutes for the facilitator to fix it. So, we are strangled at the top of the tree for a long time while our hands and legs are getting numb. I became a tree huger that day. After the facilitator has fixed the problem, we moved through the v-shaped ropes. This challenge is guaranteed to fail and to fall because the ropes that we stand on are getting farther away as we progress. My feet was shaking terribly because the rope that we have to stand on is purposely loosen and at the same time I was terrified which makes my leg trembling. When I started to step on the rope and feel the shaking rope, I was extremely terrified and I even thought to surrender and just jump. So I persuade David, my partner to jump together, however he supported me and said “we can do this, don't jump, are you ready? Let's move.....”. So we move together slowly, bit by bit before he said that he's going to fall down, and this time I am the one who motivates him to move on as we have started already. We fell down though. The lessons that I learned from this challenge are to move on despite whatever obstacles are in front of you. If we keep on staying at the same spot, we won't go anywhere and get stuck with anything that are bothering you which is even worse. We also have to be supportive and open to be supported as it does make a difference and do motivate you to move on. And be prepared as what we think is easy may not seem what we thought of it to be. It is really different when we are put at the position.

The second challenge is an individual challenge where we have to walk on the rope which is tied from one tree to another. They have several ropes tangling for us to hang on along the walking rope. However the first one is far away that you can't grasp it without letting go of the other hand holding the tree. It is called the ropes of faith where if you are able to grasp the first rope than the rest will be easy and if you can't, then you will fell down and it's over. Same with the first challenge, the rope that we are suppose to stand on is purposely loosen to to make it unstable. Surprisingly, I was once again terrified up there and it took me a long time to move and grasp the first rope. It is scary to let go of the other hand which holding the tree as it feels that you will fell down if you let it go. However, I manage to grasp the first rope with the support from the people down there and it needs a lot of concentration to grasp it. I was so shocked and in a disbelief that I manage to grasp the rope of faith. My legs are shacking and trembling again out of shock. So, I move on slowly, grasping one rope by another, until my hand feels numb but I am determined to finish it up and I did. The lessons for this challenge to me is that even though that we have experienced the same thing before, we might still uncomfortable with the next one but the previous one should motivates you to go. And there's a difference if you are alone without partners to support each other. I took a longer time to start the second challenge because I was alone up there compared to the first challenge with a partner. However, with the support from those below, I am still able to move on. I was also motivated by people who does it before me as if they can do it, why not me.

The third challenge is to climb a series of obstacles with 3 partners. We were tight together and the person in the middle was blindfolded. The two person besides her must support and and give direction physically and verbally where to go. It looks easy but it is really challenging and needs full focus and courage. This challenge really tested the team working skill among the participants and strategy to get onto the top. The final challenge is the easiest and fun to celebrate the end of he day. The flying fox! We glide down the flying fox which is the longest in the state. This challenge need full-scale team work from each members. Everyone have their own roles and we have to rotate our stations. There are people assigned to watch the flag, ladder, rope to pull down the cable, catcher who will catch the glider and other. Thus, we have to trust each other and be responsible to ensure that the glider and everyone are safe.

The ropes course is a metaphor of our life. It challenges us to face our fear. It shows us that we have to move on despite all of our fear. It shows us the importance of team work and being supported and supportive. Sometimes, we will encounter with something that obstruct us in our work and life. How will we response to these obstructions? Will we just turn back or just do nothing, or we can face the obstructions and settled it once and for all, then may progress. Anyway, the support from other people is sure the most valuable asset along our progress. Thank you team for your support.

I'm still waiting for the pictures on the rope course as I did not take any pictures during he course. I'll upload it as soon as I get it. Please enjoy the picture of Ka'a'awa Valley that I took before we begin the course first.

1 comment:

  1. Super post. I really loved your use of the word metaphor as life and problem solving.

    My class just participated in something similar in Hot Springs, VA.

    http://www.runindc.com/2009/08/outdoor-orientation-experience-at.html

    ReplyDelete